No search results. Change your keywords and try again.
1. In the OT.
a. God by His Spirit impressing upon the heart and mind of his Servant.
· The main function: was to be “Messengers from God”
· A Revelation from God that is Recorded as Scripture.
b. Another type of Prophecy.
· Their words were Not Recorded as Scripture.
· To a Specific Situation to affirm He was present.
2. In the NT.
a. We see those speaking as God’s Messengers.
· Speaking with Divine Authority, writing for us Scripture.
· These men are not called prophets, but Apostles.
b. We also see in the NT.
· God Revealed something to people to speak words of Instruction, Encouragement & Edification for the Church.
· Their words are Not Recorded as Scripture.
3. Prophecy in the church Today.
· Is Not Adding to the Word of God.
· Not all have the gift of Prophecy.
· Prophecy is not just Telling the Future.
· NT prophecy is to be Tested and Weighed.
· Don’t fall into the trap of Quenching the Spirit, or Despising prophecy.
· We affirm the Closing of the NT Canon.
New words of equal Authority are Not given Today.
The question some ask: “Is this all there is in the Christian life?”
I want to look at some things that we need to Know and Understand in order for us to Experience the fullness of the Holy Spirit.
1. The Holy Spirit is Within Us.
2. There is an Inner Conflict.
3. Sin must be Honestly and Completely Confronted.
4. We are Commanded to be Filled with the Holy Spirit.
To be filled with the Holy Spirit:
1. Confession and Repentance.
2. We need a Personal Good Friday.
An unmistakable test that we need to apply to Anyone, or any Movement in seeking to test the Validity of any Manifestation of gifts of the spirit.
Paul tells us:
- Negatively, no person by the Spirit can Curse Jesus;
- Positively, only by the Spirit can a person openly Testify that Jesus Is Lord.
1. Right Belief.
· We need to have a proper understanding of Who Jesus is.
· We need to be able to Ask People, what do they Believe.
· Any gift given or manifested by people who Deny who Jesus Christ is, is Not a Genuine manifestation of the Holy Spirit.
2. Right Place.
· Gifts are not to be regarded as Ends in Themselves.
· The Spirit has come to Lift Up and Exalt Jesus.
· When the Holy Spirit is being Obeyed people are Exalting Jesus.
· The Holy Spirit will Rejoice when we Glorify Jesus Christ.
· The right place involves Jesus being Central.
· Jesus must have the right place as Lord of our Lives.
3. Right Response.
· The right response is the Total Surrender of our lives to Jesus.
· Those who are truly able to say Jesus is Lord will not only say it with their Mouths, they will say it with their Whole Life.
· Their whole life will be a Testimony to the fact that Jesus is Lord.
How are we to know what is of God and what is not of God?
1. Do not Rely on Inward Feelings.
2. Don’t base your Acceptance of something on the People Reporting.
3. Use Your Mind.
4. Use the Scriptures.
5. Be careful of Fresh Revelation.
6. Reject anything that Contradicts the Word.
7. God does not need to Show Off.
8. Be careful about the Prophesying of future Events.
9. Be cautious about Personal Leadings.
10. Be careful of Physical Sensations.
11. Be careful of the Power of Suggestion.
12. Be careful of particular gifts that only seem to occur in the presence of a Particular Teacher or Person.
13. How has this manifestation Effected my Relationship with the Lord?
2. Don’t base your Acceptance of something on the People Reporting it.
There is nothing wrong with using your mind. Colossians 3:2 Romans 8:6 Romans 12:2 2 Tim 1:7 2 Peter 1:15
Don’t disengage your redeemed, transformed mind.
Beware any teaching that puts the Spirit against the Scripture.
6. Reject anything that Contradicts the Word of God.
1. Common Errors.
· Experiences are not the basis for Doctrine.
· Basing our understanding of the gifts on a Preconceived Theology.
2. What is a Spiritual Gift?
· God is the Source of all Spiritual gifts.
3. Spiritual Gifts are a Manifestation of the Holy Spirit.
The four major lists of gifts are found in Romans 12:6-8,
1 Cor. 12:4-11,28, Eph. 4:12, 1 Peter 4:11.
4. Spiritual Gifts are Not Spiritual Fruit.
Gal 5:22. These are not spiritual Gifts. These are the Character of Christ being Developed in us.
5. Who Has Spiritual Gifts?
· Unbelievers Don’t have spiritual gifts.
· All Spirit born Christians have at least one spiritual gift and probably more than one.
6. Spiritual Gifts are For the Church.
7. Spiritual Gifts Glorify God.
The desire of the Spirit is that the intellect, the will, and the emotions, function dependent upon God.
Reasons why Power is Lost:
1. Lack of Instruction.
How can we walk in the way the NT calls us to walk, without the life/control/gifting of the Holy Spirit?
The one who is intentional about dealing with sin and making the effort to be aware of and deal with sin can be filled.
People begin to focus on education, skill and technique, rather than the power and presence of the Holy Spirit.
There is a spirit of unbelief that we must evict.
When people realise that something they have been condemning, is actually something God wants, pride gets in the way.
No fire is never the answer for false fire. Abandonment is not the answer for excess.
Traditions can be held as being equal to the Word of God.
Saying your experience to be authentic, must look exactly like my experience.
Dunamis – The Power of God III - Empowered in Stewardship/Fellowship.
The Holy Spirit Empowers us.
- Dunamis: (miraculous) power, might, strength.
- We need the Dunamis of God to fulfil his calling in our lives.
Empowering is often missing, but is so needed in:
1. The area of Stewardship.
Stewardship is not something that you trump up in emotion. It is something God produces by His Spirit.
Examples of giving that is not Spirit empowered giving:
1. Guilt Giving.
2. Emotional Giving.
Acceptable giving is the result of the Spirit of God.
2. The area of Fellowship.
God calls us to be a part of his body.
Every growing/maturing believer in Jesus Christ needs other growing/maturing followers in their life.
Our culture needs to see the church demonstrate the power of the gospel that is greater than racism, ageism, consumerism, and models being agents of reconciliation, rather than division..
Dunamis – The Power of God II - Empowered in Counsel/Worship.
1. The area of Discerning Vision for a local Assembly.
2. The area of Evangelism.
3. The area of Preaching.
4. The area of Discipling and Counsel.
5. The area of Worship.
What should we see in Spirit led Worship?
· Worship happens when the Holy Spirit in us calls us to magnify the Father and lift up the Son - Jesus Christ.
· Worship involves a celebration of one’s saving relationship with the Lord and of His ongoing presence with them.
· To Worship is to remember.
· To worship is to join in unity with God’s people.
· The Holy Spirit empowers our worship.
· Spirit led worship is Christ centred.
· A Spirit led worship service lifts up and exalts Christ.