The Christian and Missionary Alliance or Alliance, is a movement centred on Jesus Christ focused on His Kingdom and mission. We exist to fulfil God’s mission on earth bringing the Good News of Jesus to Australia and beyond.
In Australia the Alliance is a multi-ethnic movement with more than 80 congregations in most states and territories. Internationally there are about 22,000 churches in 88 countries with more than 6 million Christians worshipping in Alliance churches worldwide.
Jesus gave his very life for us and he is the Saviour, Sanctifier, Healer and Coming King. He has called us to share the story of His life, death and resurrection with others. The passion to share His story is fuelled by our desire to live the “deeper life” — a commitment to a growing and abiding relationship with Jesus.
- To be a part of the worshipping community of God's people, who delight in the redeemed life we experience as individuals and in the fellowship of the church, which by God's abundant grace is richly endowed with spiritual gifts;
- To proclaim the truth of God's Word and to disciple people of all nations, particularly where Christ has not been named, emphasising the atoning work and Lordship of Jesus Christ, the person and work of the Holy Spirit, and looking for the coming of the Lord;
- To establish local churches throughout Australia;
- To teach and train believers for the ministries of the Church at home and overseas;
- To establish and nurture churches related in fellowship with The Christian and Missionary Alliance around the world, dedicated to evangelism and missions.
- God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- The Lord Jesus Christ who saves us, sanctifies us, heals us and is coming again.
- The verbal inspiration of the Holy Scriptures as originally given.
- The vicarious atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- The eternal salvation of all who believe in Him and the eternal punishment of all who reject Him.
Want to know more? Download and see our doctrinal statement on the left.
View Christmas Story Book here
Video 'We Are the C&MA'.
A brief look at our C&MA mission heritage and A.B.Simpson's mission focus.
The Alliance Stand
What The Alliance believes about God, how He relates to us, and how we relate to Him is foundational in its teachings. The Alliance wholeheartedly serves God and the people of His world, based soundly on the Bible. We live and die by these words and believe they bring the only life worth living—one wholly committed to the King Jesus.
There is one God, who is infinitely perfect, existing eternally in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
Our Statement of Faith
- There is one God, who is infinitely perfect, existing eternally in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- Jesus Christ is true God and true man. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He died upon the cross, the Just for the unjust, as a substitutionary sacrifice, and all who believe in Him are justified on the ground of His shed blood. He arose from the dead according to the Scriptures. He is now at the right hand of the Majesty on high as our great High Priest. He will come again to establish His kingdom of righteousness and peace.
- The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Godhead, sent to convict the world of sin, of righteousness, and of judgement. He regenerates, indwells, guides, sanctifies, teaches, illuminates, imparts spiritual gifts and empowers the believer for service.
- The Old and New Testaments, inerrant as originally given, were verbally inspired by God and are a complete revelation of His will for the salvation of men. They constitute the divine and only rule of Christian faith and practice.
- Man was originally created in the image and likeness of God, he fell through disobedience, incurring thereby both physical and spiritual death. All men are born with a sinful nature, are separated from the life of God, and can be saved only through the atoning work of the Lord Jesus Christ. The portion of the impenitent and unbelieving is existence forever in conscious torment; and that of the believer, in everlasting joy and bliss.
- Salvation has been provided through Jesus Christ for all men; and those who repent and believe in Him are born again of the Holy Spirit, justified, sanctified, receive the gift of eternal life and become the children of God.
- It is the will of God that each believer should be filled with the Holy Spirit and be totally sanctified being separated from sin and the world and being fully dedicated to the will of God, thereby receiving power for holy living and effective service. This experience is both a distinct event and a life-long process.
- Provision is made in the redemptive work of the Lord Jesus Christ for the healing of the mortal body. Prayer for the sick and anointing with oil are taught in the Scriptures and are privileges for the Church in this present age.
- The Church consists of all those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, are redeemed through His blood, and are born again of the Holy Spirit. Christ is the Head of the Body, the Church, which has been commissioned by Him to go into all the world as a witness, preaching the Gospel to all nations. The local church is a body of believers in Christ who are joined together for the worship of God, for edification through the Word of God, for prayer, fellowship, the proclamation of the Gospel, and observance of the ordinances of baptism and the Lord's Supper.
- There shall be a bodily resurrection of the just and of the unjust; for the former, a resurrection unto life; for the latter, a resurrection unto judgement.
- The Lord Jesus Christ will come again. His second coming is imminent and will be personal and visible. As the believer's blessed hope this vital truth is an incentive to holy living and faithful service toward the completion of Christ's commission.
About Our Logo
ABOUT OUR LOGO
The Australian Alliance is part of a Christ-centred, Mission-focused and Spirit-empowered global movement more than 6 million strong. We are inspired by Jesus’ love and empowered by His Spirit and are passionate about bringing the good news about Him to our neighbourhoods and world.
Our Alliance family celebrates Jesus—the image of the invisible God, the Lord of all Creation!
“For in Christ, all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and in Christ you have been brought to fullness.” Colossians 2:9-10
Our heartbeat is to know Jesus as our:
The cross symbolises the salvation that is provided only through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
The laver, a ceremonial basin, symbolises the sanctifying grace of God that provides daily cleansing from sin through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit.
1 Thes 5:23-24
1 Cor 1:30
The pitcher of oil symbolises the power of the Holy Spirit and the provision of anointing for healing.
The crown symbolises the return of Jesus Christ as King of Kings. Christ’s return will be personal and visible.
Because of who He is and what He’s done, we are compelled to “go!” Humbled by the open invitation He extends to us—what we call the Great Commission—we join Him in His work to restore and reconcile lost and broken people to Himself.
Read our statement of faith for more on what we believe.
In Australia, our Alliance family extends His love to everyone we meet - Everyone, Everywhere, All the Time; we walk with our neighbours through the challenges life brings, introducing them to the One who offers true hope. We plant churches, preach the Word, make disciples and mentoring new believers to become healthy, passionate Jesus followers.
Our Alliance family sends and supports Alliance international workers through the placement of workers, establishing partnerships, releasing professionals and supporting projects. We care for the sick, befriend the lonely, and introduce spiritually impoverished people to the One who releases us all from the curse of sin and the sting of death.
Acts 1:8 is in our DNA. We are convinced it is only by the Holy Spirit’s empowerment that we can fully express Jesus’ love, compassion, and mercy to those who do not know Him.
“… But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8
History of the C&MA
History of the C&MA
Founded in 1887 at Old Orchard, Maine, by Dr. Albert B. Simpson, a Canadian-born Presbyterian minister, the C&MA was originally established as an evangelical foreign missionary organisation that received support from an alliance of Christians from several denominations and nationalities.
A.B. Simpson entered the ministry at age 21, after graduating from Knox College in Toronto. He became pastor of the Knox Presbyterian Church, Toronto, and in his eight years there, saw some 750 persons added to the membership.
He then pastored a respected church in a major American city, but his spirit soon grew discontented as he assessed his congregation in light of the city and its need. During a time of fervent prayer, he became aware that before anything could happen in his church, something must first happen to him. As he sought and surrendered to God, Simpson experienced an anointing of the Spirit that transformed him and his ministry.
This experience not only revitalised his local evangelistic ministry but also touched his spirit with the plight of the unevangelised around the world. This burden for the whole world led him to accept a pulpit in New York. He wanted to be at the centre, in touch with the lives of those radiating to the ends of the earth.
He began publishing an illustrated magazine on foreign missions - believed to be the first of its kind. He founded the first bible institute in America in 1882 known as the Nyack Missionary College. He was the first to introduce the "faith promise" method for missionary support. Between 1884 and 1919 he sent 300 workers around the world including the Congo, West Africa, Jerusalem, the Philippines, Japan and South America.
The deep expression of his heart was revealed when he wrote:
"To the regions beyond I must go, I must go Where the story has never been told; To the millions that have never heard of His love, I must tell the sweet story of old"
This experience was at the heart of Simpson's "Fourfold Gospel"--the Alliance emphasis on the believer's relationship with Christ as Saviour, Sanctifier, Healer, and Coming King--and sparked what was to become the Christian and Missionary Alliance of today.
The Alliance entered Australia in 1969 and today is one of the most multi-ethnic denominations in Australia with 52 churches made up of 80 congregations operating in most states and territories.
A deeper life has always been vital to Alliance people. In fact, everything we do flows from a commitment that is fostered by our time alone with Jesus Christ. Following are three devotional selections that Alliance people have found helpful in fostering this deeper life experience. We hope that you benefit from these thoughts as countless others have throughout the years.
Devotionals compiled from A.W. Tozer’s writings.
Read Today's Devotional
Daily readings by A.B. Simpson.
Read Today's Devotional
Daily readings by J. Soper
Listen to Today's Devotional - sign up here
The C&MA in Australia
The history of the C&MA in Australia is not a long one, some 50 years in fact.
The Christian and Missionary Alliance grew out of the vision of Rev. Albert Benjamin Simpson, who was ordained in the Presbyterian Church in 1865 and became the pastor in one of Canada’s most prestigious pulpits. During the next number of years, the Holy Spirit revolutionised his life, making him more passionate for neglected people and people living in poverty at home and around the world.
In 1887, compelled by a sense of urgency to take the message of Jesus Christ to all nations, Simpson was used by God to give birth to The Christian and Missionary Alliance. It was only natural that his vision should extend to Australia. This vision continues to motivate the C&MA in some 58 countries in which it is currently serving.